Sunday, November 13, 2011

Tool #8 Taking a Look at the Tools

Three things I learned about the new technology:
  • The netbooks will have a camera (Cool, because I set up a Skype account)
  • That, as a center activity, I should have all the students sign in to every device the first time
  • When I download to the I-Pod Touch, I should select I-Phone apps (I didn't know this because don't have an I-Phone)
Management:
  • Write the device name on the back of the device
  • Assign students the job of taking out and putting up technology tools (and trouble-shooting to inform me). Model for everyone in class how the removal and storage should look.
  • Discuss with class what collaboration looks and sounds like when using technology. Add comments to our Collaborator's Code posted on the wall.
  • Post alternate assignment on board for students who find it difficult to live up to technology usage expectations (30 or more math problems or several work sheets, spelling practice, etc.)
  • First several sessions, walk around room checking screens and behavior. Hope to catch someone breaking the rules, even for a minor infraction, and assign alternate work.All students will come to a clearer understanding of the level of expectation tied to their use of the technology tools.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great ideas for management... and since they've already been coming to the Library some, and they came a LOT last year, they already know some of the expectations. And yes, a minor infraction resulting in the movement back to paper/pencil task will likely remedy everyone's behavior after only 1 infraction! I've only ever had to send 2 groups back to class for wasting their own time!

Anonymous said...

I hope it doesn't come to that (catching someone breaking the rules), but I guess with a group there may always be someone who can't follow the guidelines!

Yes, spend some time now looking at apps and finding ones that work for your 4th grade classroom!