Sunday, October 30, 2011

Tool #5 Producing with 2.0 Tools


This is Miss K. posting for Rose while the Prince waters and cares for soil around her on their asteroid.

On earth, I found the 2.0 offerings interesting and exciting to consider in connection with teaching. I made a comic at Make Beliefs Comix, but am not totally happy with the site. I found that you can only put one of any type of item into a frame. So I could not make two characters holding cell phones in one frame. I also did not see any "go back and edit" button after I went to the print screen. So I used the back button and lost the whole thing. I wanted to go back and see if it would come out larger when printed in landscape layout. Fortunately, I did get it printed, but I had to scan it to save it to the computer. I also forgot to title it.

When I watched the YouTube about Make Beliefs Comix I saw other videos for Toondoo, which I learned about at Teacher Summer U. I watched a video for that and think that site would be more satisfying to use. I'd like to have students make cartoons to explain earth science concepts and steps in math operations.

The other thing I did was make a poster in Big Huge Labs. The poster shows many things that have measurement scales and the purpose is to make students notice that not all scales advance with the same number pattern. I'm going to use it when we study measurement in math, but it is also useful as a reminder to students when we read beakers, thermometers and other tools in science.

I'm not sure how to get the pdf of my comic into this post. When I upload the message says my image is corrupt or in an unrecognizable format.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Make Beliefs Comix does have its limitations. I have found that it is best to take a screenshot of it using a tool such as Jing Project. I like Toondoo as well! I found that it also had some limitations. I wonder if it will display on the netbooks as I had trouble on my personal laptop - the bottom buttons were partially hidden by my taskbar. However, if it works for you and your students, have some fun!