Thursday, July 3, 2008

The LibraryThing, #11

Before visiting Earth, the little prince stopped on a planet where a geographer wrote voluminous books. "Geographies," said the geographer, "are the books...most concerned with matters of consequence...It is very rarely that a mountain changes its positon. It is very rarely that an ocean empties itself of its water. We write of eternal things." On the other hand, the little prince's flower (me) is ephemeral--in danger of speedy disappearance. He later told me he felt a moment of regret over leaving me alone on our asteroid.

Any book is a matter of great consequence. Readers of fiction as well as nonfiction discover eternal things, such as underlying concepts or principles. That is why I have begun an account at LibraryThing, and I have listed 30 of the books that the little prince and I have enjoyed reading. I am very excited about posting a book review on the website at a later date and talking with people who love the inspiring works that I have also loved. LibraryThing would be a useful vehicle for helping students select a good read, and later, publishing a review for the book. Students could also use the site to find reviews of books they have been considering reading.

No comments: