Tuesday, July 1, 2008

On Matters of Consequence and RSS - Thing #8

"On matters of consequence, the little prince had ideas which were very different from those of the grown-ups." He once told a businessman, "I myself own a flower...which I water every day. I own three volcanoes, which I clean out every week (for I also clean out the one that is extinct; one never knows). It is of some use to my volcanoes, and it is of some use to my flower, that I own them."

It seems that the computer has become a fascination for the little prince, and he discovered how to employ it in matters of consequence. By setting up Really Simple Syndications of web articles, he has been able to peruse and quickly select information that helps him clean his volcanoes faster and better. He also shares his RSS file of Inspiration with the fox back on earth. They keep journals and write letters to each other prompted by articles discussing uniqueness. The fox even suggested that the little prince create an RSS folder about roses (especially searching for articles about my particular variety), and offer it to the library for students to use in their research projects.

Oh! I believe I see several harmless looking green sprouts shooting up where the little prince rested after his return. Perhaps he inadvertently brought good seed (stuck to his shoes or pants?) to grace our planet. As soon as the leaves are recognizable, we will know whether to uproot those sprouts or to attend to them with great care.

No comments: